Redcliffe, Queensland’s first settlement city.
The Redcliffe Peninsula was occupied by the indigenous Ningy Ningy people. The native name is Kau-in-Kau-in, which means Blood-Blood (red-like blood).
The area’s first European visitors arrived on 17 July 1799, aboard the Norfolk, a British colonial sloop commanded by Matthew Flinders. Flinders explored the Moreton Bay area and landed at 10:30 a.m. at a location he called “Red Cliff Point”, after the red-coloured cliffs visible from the bay, today called Woody Point.
The brig Amity set sail for Redcliffe from Sydney on September 1, 1824 carrying settlement commandant Lieutenant Miller, explorer John Oxley, a crew and convicts. The party landed at Redcliffe on September 13, 1824. (Ref MBRC, Wikipedia)